If you are planning to trade in the Indian stock market, the first thing you will need is a Demat account. Check out this post to know how you can open one and also the mistakes that should be avoided during the account-opening process.
With the Lok Sabha elections just around the corner, this can be an excellent time for you to open a Demat account if you have been thinking about stock trading for some time now. A Demat account is required for settling the trades electronically. When you buy shares, they are stored in this Demat account and are debited from the same when you decide to sell.
Thanks to the internet, applying for a new Demat account is now easier than ever. Here are the steps you should follow for opening a Demat account along with a few common mistakes that should be avoided along the way-
- Selecting a Depository Participant
To start with, you need to select a DP or Depository Participant. The DP functions as the link between you and the depository. There are currently two stock depositories in India- NSDL and CDSL. You can visit the official website of these depositories to check the official list of DPs in India.
- Avoid selecting a DP solely on the services charges. Consider factors such as reputation, benefits, and convenience offered to the customers to pick the best.
- Many of the top DPs now let the customers trade through their online platform, their proprietary software, and even through mobile apps. Prefer such DPs as they ensure enhanced trading flexibility.
- Filling an Online Application Form
Once you have selected a DP, the next step is to fill an online application form. You will be required to provide your personal and professional details along with photocopies of a few documents to open a new Demat account.
- Make sure that you cross-check the information and documents you submit for opening the Demat account to avoid any hassles.
- Give special attention to the nominee details as in case of your demise; your holdings will be transferred to the nominee.
- Sign the DP Agreement
If the application form and submitted documents are in order, the DP will then give you an agreement which is created as per the standard format of the depository. This agreement will have detailed rights of the investor as well as the DP along with the service charges and more. Sign and submit this document to open the Demat account.
- Make sure that you thoroughly read the agreement before signing as it contains a lot of essential details about your Demat account.
- Receive Demat Account Number
The last step of how to open a Demat account is receiving the Demat account number. After submitting the agreement, your new Demat account will be ready to use. This account will have an identification number known as Beneficial Owner Identification Number (BO-ID). You will use this ID for all your stock transactions.
- If at all you are not satisfied with the services of your DP, you can switch to a different DP for free. Moreover, you can also have more than one Demat accounts. Also, your stockbroker and DP can be different entities too.
Beginning Your Stock Market Journey
The Indian stock market has continued to deliver impressive returns over the years, making it a go-to option for a lot of investors. If you are interested too, follow the steps listed above to open a new Demat account and begin your stock market journey.
Make sure that you avoid the mistakes so that the account opening process is quick and hassle-free.